Here is a really simple and relatively low-in-sugar recipe for rhubarb jam. Rhubarb is so easy to grow year after year. With a reasonably sized rhubarb patch you can make enough rhubarb jam to get you through the year if you are organised and make lots of pots in different batches between April and August.
Recipe for Rhubarb Jam:
- 1 kg rhubarb
- ½ kg granulated sugar
- 1 lemon
- Chop rhubarb into 1 inch cubes and put in a bowl.
- Pour in the sugar, mix, cover and leave overnight.
- Next day, sterilise some jam jars.
- Put the rhubarb and sugar in a pan and add lemon juice.
- Heat gently and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Turn up the heat and boil for approximately 30 minutes, while stirring. Jam is ready when it has reduced down a bit to a stickier consistency and has started browning.
- Pour into jam jars, put on the lids and leave to cool.
If you wish, you can add flavour twists later by, for example, mixing in some ginger or vanilla.
Do you have a different recipe for rhubarb jam? Any different ingredients or flavour twist suggestions? Please share in the comments section below.